Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Rue Mouffetard

Yesterday's evening nap resulted in a groggy morning for me, but I pried my eyes open to blue skies and a beautiful day. I even remembered to bring my camera with me to work so I could take pictures of the food at Rue Mouffetard during my lunch break.

Food on Rue Mouffetard
After working up a healthy appetite taking these photos, I realized I only had €3 ($3.91) on hand for lunch. I searched for an ATM to no avail, and decided to take the challenge of finding lunch for under €3. It turns out that the frozen food store, Picard, has fairly cheap microwavable lunches. I was able to find a tasty bowl of frozen lentil/pea soup for only €2.50! After work, I grabbed some cash near my house and went back to Picard for some more frozen food shopping.

Inside the frozen food store, Picard, and my spoils!
The frozen food from Picard is decent, but it is about on par with Trader Joe's in flavor. It didn't blow me away as I had hoped. That said, I'm sure it would be much tastier if I cooked it in the oven instead of the microwave. 

In the evening, I took a nice stroll through the very crowded park across the street. There were runners galore (still going counterclockwise) and many, many kids. I don't think I've seen that concentration of children since I was last at an amusement park. One of my favorite features of the park is a great big pond right in the middle surrounded by benches where people sit and read, write, or watch the passersby. There were also lots of families picnicking on beautiful, rolling grassy areas. 

Readers in the park.

And just to complete to the barrage of photos that is this post, I took some pictures of Parisian architecture near my school that I find beautiful and classic. It seems very characteristic of this area. I love the wrought iron balconies that are so common around here.

Parisian architecture.
Today was a lovely day, and although my French is not improving much, I am beginning to feel more settled. This isn't a bad place to spend a summer month.

3 comments:

  1. The wrought iron is pretty, reminds me of those pictures of Columbus , South Carolina that I have in the kitchen. Do you walk to work? The pics of the food in the market is interesting. Are those cherries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Those are cherries. I take the bus to work, it is usually a pretty nice ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the foreground park reader's outfit. It makes me want to get similarly dressed up and read in a nearby park. Although I imagine people would think "hipster" rather than "classy". I think one crosses that line at ~40 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete