Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The day of the long, after-work nap

The draw of my bed was too strong for me to resist upon getting home from work today. I think I fell into bed around 7:00 pm and it's already 9:57 pm! Oh my.

This morning I experimented with eating oatmeal for breakfast. First I tried to make it on the stove in our floor's shared kitchen, but I couldn't figure out how to work the stove. Then I realized they have this brilliant contraption called a microwave! I haven't had a microwave for years, so I forgot how useful they were. After a quick google to figure out how best to cook oatmeal in the microwave, I was on my way. 

 

I'm actually very impressed with how the oatmeal turned out, so I will share what I did even though it isn't a unique Parisian thing. I dumped what looked like a sufficient amount of Old Fashioned Oats into a bowl and then added enough water to barely cover the oats. I then let it cook in the microwave for 2.5 minutes on high. Once that was done, I added a splash of goat's milk and a small spoonful of lavender honey and voilà! A bowl of delicious oatmeal was made.

Work was very sciency and fun again. We went to a little street near the University called Rue Mouffetard for lunch. I ordered a quiche lorraine and a 0.5 kg bag of cherries for lunch. It was super! However, I very unfortunately did not bring my camera to work today so I didn't get to take pictures of this street where I bought lunch. I know better than to make that mistake again. It is a very cute street with fruit venders and bakeries galore. I plan to go back to visit this frozen foods store I keep hearing about called Picard. I'll bring my camera next time.

There was champagne and cake at the end of the work day to celebrate a coworker's last day. After that, I came home and fell asleep. Now, I should really go to sleep again. 

Good night! 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you found the microwave. They are really handy-can sterilize dishcloths also! Love your pictures. Champaign puts me to sleep also. Sounds like the group celebrates a lot-is their English good? They probably like having you there to help them with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the people in my group speak English, but they prefer to speak in French, which is understandable. I wish French were more similar to Spanish. I keep finding myself accidentally saying Spanish words - I guess because I'm accessing the foreign language part of my brain.

      Delete