I saw these two bookstores today:
I also had a very good lunch today. I bought a quiche lorraine from a bakery on Rue Mouffetard, a small roll of chocolate bread, and a fresh peach. I've never had chocolate bread before, but this stuff is great. It is just like regular bread (think of a short, floury baguette) with some cocoa powder mixed in the dough with a few small chunks of chocolate. It is hardly sweet at all, and very delicious. I will add this to the list of French foods I want to learn to cook when I get home. So far my list is:
1. Soufflé au fromage
2. The flaky quiche crust they make here -- It involves rolling out the dough, coating it with butter, folding it over on itself, rolling it out again, etc. until you get a multilayered, buttery, delicious dough.
3. Chocolate bread
We shall see how much success I have with these endeavors.
Do I detect the need for Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking in your future?
ReplyDeleteI think you may be right mom. I skimmed through some of her book and she seems to have such a delightful written voice! It makes me want to watch Julie and Julia again. Maybe I will check out her book when I get home.
ReplyDelete